Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's a Feeding Frenzy

It is 28 degrees this morning as I am writing this. As far as I'm concerned it can stay like this until November. The week has been beautiful. However with the nice spring weather also come those little black buggers!!

I went out to change the letters on my sign at the Highway and WOW they were very hungry. I got quite a few bites just being out that short time.

So here begins my touching story. Last year an old guy was bitten all over his bald head when we were digging leeks. He was very itchy and he asked me to rub Whiskey all over his head. Now I thought that this was alcohol abuse buy none the less it was his rye not mine, he could do what ever he wanted with it. I poured a small bit in my hands and rubbed it all over his head and presto he wasn't itchy any more. So in my infinite wisdom I though I should try the same when I came in this morning. I got thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea to be serving customers smelling like the rye bottle so I tried a little Vodka behind my ears and on my arm. Go figure-it works!!! Again this may be alcohol abuse but it is better than being itchy when you have nothing else to fix the problem.

I wondered how a person would do in a breathalyzer if you did not drink the rye, just dabbed it on but stunk like a booze hound.

So my advice is everyone should come up north this weekend and help us feed the little critters. That sounds like a good plan. If this really hot weather keeps up hopefully they won't last too long. They were our really early this year because of the early spring.

We did our annual paddle down the Papineau Creek last weekend. A good time was had by all, drinks were served and not one canoe flipped (it's usually mine) this year for the first time in 5 years. We did have one spring a leak. God bless duct tape.

Sadly though I did not finish dry. I slipped into the creek getting out of the canoe while trying to visit mother nature. It goes without saying that after my dip in the creek there was no need to go into the bushes after all. Well what would a trip down the creek be without a few water fights and at least one dunk in the creek.

There is a new sign up at the Algonquin Lodge property advertising the new Wal Mart and Harvey's coming in 2012. It is causing a lot of buzz and has been very amusing for all the folks around the diner these last couple of weeks. I even had a nit wit from the Bancroft Times come in to ask about it. It must be a slow news week.

It's nice to see the cottagers back for another season but no ATVer's are around this year. Is it the gas thing or just too much on the go? Riders are really down this spring.

Well that's it for today. Back soon.

Cheers
Nancy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Nancy,

Any ATV runs in the area this coming weekend? Looking to get out on the trails and photograph some riders. Wanted to make your mud run but was sick with the flu. I'll be there on the 19th. See you soon,
Dan

Unknown said...

Nancy, any thoughts of staying open on Friday June 4 for the Stanley Cup play-offs. No TV at the Leach's Inn. email me at alguires@sympatico.ca

Marc Cruji said...

Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us what the trail conditions are like in your area. You are wonderful.

See you for lunch once the trails are open

Marc